Would you like to feel more lightweight and fun? If so, how do you fancy joining me on a 30 day dance challenge?
Sometimes I feel far too serious. I get caught up with what needs to be done and forget to enjoy where I am and what I’m doing. Ferris Bueller put it so wisely…
Becoming more playful
I’ve put ‘playfulness and fun’ higher up on my list of values—but how can I achieve this?
There are many ways I can build playfulness into my life, but here are a few ideas to start:
- share funny stories with friends and family
- seeking entertainment that is light-hearted and has a ‘feel-good’ factor
- drawing cartoons
- playing well-meaning pranks
- moving around in a humorous way
And some suggestions from Lyden:
- act like a sniffer dog in your significant other’s ear (kids love this too!)
- offer a piggy back to somebody
- perform a lunge (hands on hips) to impress your spouse
- serve dinner on the plate in a ludicrous way – maybe a face?
All these things would bring my attention to the present; help me to enjoy the moment; and to have fun and be cheerful more of the time.
The dance challenge
I’m going to give myself permission to do a few minutes of silly, unstructured dancing every day. I’ll keep going for the duration of at least one song. This isn’t for an audience or to put on a show, but simply for the sake of feeling playful and fun.
I’ll do this for 30 days, and stick to it no matter where I am or what I’m doing that day. I’ll also stick to it if I’m feeling reluctant or have thought up a creative excuse.
Just a few minutes today made me feel powerful and happy! Here’s the song I chose today. You can’t beat a bit of Queen…
If you have any suggestions for songs which make you feel like dancing, please share and I’ll add them to my list. I’ll keep a log of how I get on and post back in a month.
If you’d like to join in the lightweight light dance challenge, please do – and keep me informed!